Peanut butter and jelly is a classic toast combo. So here it is in one healthy spread – just nuts, fruit, pinch salt and a little sweetness to taste. So simple!
Makes approx 325g Prep time 10 minutes Cook time 5 minutes V, make it vegan with vegan maple syrup
- 200g hazelnuts – or you can use almonds, cashew, peanuts
- pinch salt
- 125g raspberries – blueberries or strawberries also work well
- 2tsp honey or maple syrup or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan oven 180C/gas mark 6. Place the nuts on a baking tray and toast for around 5 minutes until golden. You can also do this in a pan but keep them moving round to ensure even cooking. Set aside to cool. If the nuts have their dark papery skins still attached roll them around in your hands to loosen and discard them.
- Whilst the nuts cool, place the berries in a pan, roughly crush with a fork, cover and cook gently for a couple of minutes until they have released their juices. Remove the lid and continue cooking for a minute or 2 more to create a sticky jam. Leave until cool.
- Blend the nuts in a food processor or blender – you can’t do this by hand. It will take several minutes for the nuts to break down and release their oil and you will need to stop and scrape down a few times but eventually you end up with a soft shiny paste.
- Stir in the salt and berries, taste and add honey or maple syrup if required. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
You don’t have to roast the nuts beforehand but it does enhance the flavour.